BUFFALO GROVE -- Vernon Township announced the opening of the Peterson Park community pool on June 26 and its summer activity program.
“We wanted to open our pool since so many other swim facilities will not be able to open,” Vernon Township Supervisor Jonathan Altenberg said in a news release. “We hope that the pool opening, and these summer programs that we developed to give some relief to our residents who are struggling to find things for their children to do this summer, will be a valuable service for our residents.”
The Vernon Township Peterson Pool will be open for lap swimming and starting June 29, swim lessons. Residents will need to register online in advance for both activities as during Phase 3 of State reopening, class sizes will be limited to four students per class and lap swimming will be limited to eight swimmers at a time.
Patrons do not have to wear a mask when they are in the water or when they are in their socially distanced group area on deck, but they must wear a face mask at all other times while in the facility. Peterson Park pool staff will be sanitizing the facility at least every two hours.
Vernon Township recommends that patrons come to the facility showered and already in their bathing suits. If at all possible, patrons should change and shower at home at the conclusion of their swim time.
Vernon Township summer activity classes: All classes offered are at beginner level and are intended to offer participants an opportunity to have fun, learn, and return to some sort of normal social interaction. Classes will consist of:
* Environmental Science -- In this class, participants will interact with the natural world to discover how Earth’s systems work. Students will use hands-on learning to discover the complexity of our local ecosystems, water and wildlife along with how humans impact each of these systems with our daily lives.
* STEM -- In STEM, participants will investigate a variety of scientific principles such as flight and architecture as they use ordinary household objects to engineer their own creations. Children will get to put their creations to the test to use the engineering design process to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of their designs.
* Athletic Conditioning -- Participants will focus on improving their physical fitness. Activities will focus mostly on endurance and strength training (no equipment). Some socially distanced sport skills will be involved.
* Dance -- Participants will be taught a variety of basic steps. The class will touch on different dance genres, and focus on improving flexibility and coordination through fun, age appropriate movement and exercises.
* Story as art -- Participants will begin with a story read by the counselor, followed by arts and craft projects that directly relate to the story.
* Mini Camp -- Stories, crafts, and games. This class will be split into three parts: the reading of a story, making a craft related to it, and then a socially distanced game.
* Yoga -- In this playful yoga class, children will learn yoga poses, breathing, and relaxation exercises which cultivate a calm mind, increase strength and flexibility, improve gross and fine motor skills, and improve concentration.
For more information on the Vernon Township Peterson Pool or Vernon Township summer activity activities, go to www.vernontownship.com
Vernon Township provides services to residents in all or portions of the villages of Buffalo Grove, Indian Creek, Lincolnshire, Long Grove, Mettawa, Mundelein, Riverwoods, Vernon Hills, the City of Lake Forest, and unincorporated Vernon Township.