GURNEE -- YWCA Lake County, in collaboration with the Warren Township High School Black Student Union, the Village of Gurnee and the Gurnee Parks District, is taking part in a peaceful protest in recognition of Black Lives Matter.
The event will take place at 4 p.m. June 7 at Viking Park, 4374 Old Grand Ave, Gurnee.
Guest speakers will include:
• Kristina Kovarik, mayor of Gurnee
• Jason Kalinowski, sergeant of the Gurnee Police Department
• Cheryl Hudson-Jackson, YWCA Lake County's senior director of economic empowerment and youth programs
• Dr. Diallo Brown, District 121 dean of students
• Roger Moreano, diversity trainer at Carthage College, father of WTHS student
• Lewis Reams, father of WTHS alumni
• Juan Cárdenas, WTHS’s Avanza secretary, coordinator of Change Park City
• Zarina Morgan, WTHS student
• Kiara Robinson-Holland, WTHS alumna
• Bryson King, president of BSU at WTHS
Attendees are encouraged to bring their own masks and signs. Donations may be made electronically to community organizations that support eliminating racism in Gurnee.