As a public service, Shaw Media will provide open access to information related to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) emergency. Sign up for newsletter
Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker announced four new COVID-19 cases in the state, bringing the total number of cases in the state to 11.
All four of the new cases are in Chicago.
Pritzker on Monday issued a disaster proclamation in the state, which entitles Illinois to federal reimbursement for the cost of combating coronavirus.
“This is going to affect your daily life,” Pritzker said at a Monday news conference. “But know that your city, your county and your state officials are working hard to stay ahead of this and to give you facts as soon as we know that.”
Dr. Allison Arwady, the commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Health, offered details on the four new cases:
Two patients, a woman in her 50s and a woman in her 70s, are family members of the sixth patient, who acquired the virus on a cruise ship and is an employee at Vaughn Occupational High School in Chicago.
Another patient is a woman in her 50s from California who traveled to Illinois.
The fourth patient is a woman in her 70s who returned earlier this month from an Egyptian cruise that has been linked to coronavirus.
All four people are in isolation and in good condition, Arwady said.
Pritzker said it was “reasonable to feel apprehension,” but urged Illinois residents to remain calm, not hoard supplies and to honor quarantine orders if they are subject to them.
Arwady said asymptomatic people are not being tested because coronavirus won’t show up on a test. Those who don’t show symptoms either don’t have it, or the level is too low to be detected.
Dr. Ngozi Ezike, the director of the Illinois Department of Public Health, said only one of the state’s 11 confirmed coronavirus cases acquired it from within the community.
Pritzker said he will hold a daily news conference going forward to provide updates.